Adam Reed Q&A
With London Fashion Week around the corner, preparations were well underway at the Percy & Reed salon last Friday as Adam Reed took three members of the Sebastian Professional CULT team through their paces.
Mr Reed demonstrated several looks throughout the course of the day, prior to the Felder Felder AW12 catwalk show at London Fashion Week on Friday 17th February, at which the hair team will be lead by Adam.
We sat down with one half of the award winning Percy & Reed to discuss Fashion Week, his must-have essentials and hair tips.
Q&A with Adam Reed
Why is today important?
It’s the first time that I am going to be working with the Sebastian Professional CULT team backstage at London Fashion Week and it’s so important to know the strengths of your team. I wanted to spend a day making sure we all know how we each work. Fashion week can be a high pressured environment so sharing tips and tricks will make sure the hair will be perfect whilst enjoying the buzz of backstage.
Can you remember the feeling of when you first assisted backstage?
I can. It was 1995 and still today I remember the feeling of excitement and adrenalin. I never take my working backstage at fashion week for granted; it is still more of my most favourite things to do within my calendar.
Fashion Week Essentials
1. iPad – my iPad is loaded with mood boards, references and things I take inspirations from, I carry it with me everywhere. It’s what I use when building the concept at the hair test with the designers.
2. Emergen-C Vitamin C Sachets – I can’t get enough of them, they are great for an energy boost.
3. My Kit Bags – which has everything I need to do my job in
4. Most importantly a good assistant!
So what’s in the Kit Bag?
Nu Bone Comb, hair pins in all shapes and sizes and coloured ones as well. I make a lot of my own hair accessories so I always carry a selection of them with me. Spirit Gum Remover, when you have models coming backstage with glue in their hair from other shows it take it’s straight out. Bun rings and padding just in case you get a model with thin hair.
What are your must-have products for backstage?
Sebastian Professional Reshaper Hairspray 400ml £15.00
Percy & Reed No Fuss Flawlessness Dry Conditioner 150ml £12.00
Sebastian Professional Stylixer 150ml £18.50
Sebastian Professional Moulding Mud 75g £15.00
Percy & Reed Abundantly Bouncy Volumising Mousse 200ml £12.00
What product can you not have enough of at Fashion Week?
Hairspray, hairspray and more hairspray – I have recently fallen in love with Sebastian Professional Reshaper and you are able to create amazing looks with just hairspray and a pin!
What handy tips for session work can you offer?
1. Never apply product direct to the hair when building your foundation i.e. back combing. Apply the hairspray to your comb or brush before using it within the hair. Once your foundation is created then use other products to style the hair.
2. Always wash your brushes after each show, it’s so important to make sure your tools are ready to go for the next show.
3. Never use the full heat on hair straighners – this causes static within the hair and the runways usually have plastic covering them which will cause even more static when the models walk.
If there is one thing that the CULT team should take away from today – what would it be?
To listen, listen and absorb everything you hear, may it be from the lead hair stylist, makeup artists, stylists, designers, photographers everyone you come into contact with in our job. Practise the basics and don’t be afraid to try something different.